Australian Information Industry Association
Each Council holds an Annual General Meeting before the end of the year, in late November or early December. In the lead-up to the AGM, the Council holds an election for vacant Council positions, with the new Council appointed at the AGM for a 3 year term.
The key dates for the 2018 Council elections are as follows:
- Call for Nominations Open – Monday, 15 October 2018
- Nominations Close – 4pm AEDST, Wednesday, 31 October 2018
- Voting Opens – 9am AEDST, Thursday, November 2018
- Voting Closes – 4pm AEDST, Thursday, 22 November 2018
- Election results provided to Council Chairs – Friday, 23 November 2018
- Results to be announced at State AGMs - to be held between 26 November and 7 December 2018
To be eligible to stand as a Council member:
- Your organisation must be a paid-up Full, Associate Member or Incubator Member of the AIIA
- Your organisation must have a business or commercial interest in the applicable State or Territory
- You must be the senior representative of their organisation within that State or Territory
- You must have a valid profile on the AIIA system
- Each organisation may only have one representative on the Council at any time.
In October, the Returning Officer will call for nominations for vacant Council positions and advise details of the process for all Councils
- Eligible candidates submit a written nomination in the approved format, including a short biography, using the online form (available from this page once nominations open)
- The Returning Officer will send each Member vote holder the election material, including biographies and details of the vote process
- Members submit their votes, using an online voting system
- The Returning Officer declares the result, based on a simple count
The new Council will be appointed at the AGM and will hold its first Council meeting to elect a Chair, Deputy Chair and Treasurer from amongst themselves. Additional places on each Council are filled as appointments (see below).
Council Members may appoint alternates from their organisation, with the approval of the Council. If a Council Member steps down for any reason and the Member organisation does not provide a replacement - the Council will make an appointment.
If an organisation ceases to be an AIIA Member, the Council Member will step down, unless the Council agrees they will serve to the next AGM.
The Council may appoint additional Council Members, in order to complete the Council and fill any casual vacancies. These appointees serve until the next AGM, when they are eligible for election or reappointment.